Thursday, January 8, 2009

Head-On, For Christmas!

So here are a few details... I was driving with Aaron as passenger and both girls in the back in carseats. We were taking Taiya to gymnastics. The roads were obviously snowy. The car coming the opposite way was fishtailing the entire width of both lanes and shoulders. I slowed down hoping she would get control. I moved onto my shoulder and as she came at me, I started to drive into the ditch to try to avoid a head on. But she obviously caught my front drivers side. It was kind of crazy to see my life flash before my eyes. Thankfully we were so blessed, it could have been so much worse. Once Aaron and I got the airbags down we checked on the girls and they were perfectly fine. Definitely traumatized. After calling 911. We had 2 firetrucks, 2 ambulances, and 3 cop cars there to help. I went in the ambulance due to my neck and back, which is feeling much better. I'm seeing the chiropractor 2 times a week. Aaron got two black eyes a cut on the nose, scraped knuckles and a jammed thumb. He's still kind of messed up. I can't believe we made it out of that so well. It could have been so much worse. Oh yeah, this was Dec. 23rd, 5:20 pm. It kind of put a damper on the holidays. No car, super sore, insurance calls, etc.

My tire got most of the crash, look at how far back it got shoved. It's at least a foot off. Kind of funny, but if the car is running, the horn honks. It's got some funky stuff going on. The dash is all tweeked too and the both airbags came out. It was mine and Aaron's first time getting hit by a 200mph airbag hopefully the last. Good thing I had my head turned, so it didn't break my nose. Sure going to miss the 4runner. I thought she held up pretty well, especially compared to the other car.

Her car doesn't look as good huh. She had a 7 month old in back in a carseat. Thankfully they were both ok too. Carseats know what they are doing. There were 3 kids 3 and under involved and none of them got hurt. The girls had their big puffy coats on, so it probably helped take some of the seat belt impact.

This is the 5 foot ditch we went off into. I didn't realize it at the time, but I guess we drove through a barbed wire fence too. The gal who hit us stayed on the road and spun 360's.

Here's one of Aaron's 2 shiners!

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my! I am so glad that you and your family is okay. That is SUPER scary- I am also glad that the lady and her baby that hit you were alright. I hope your neck and back start healing quickly.
It is amazing to see the blessings that we recieve having our loved ones on the other side. I am sure your Dad was there protecting you without a doubt.
Again, I am so glad that you guys are okay. Love ya!

SSToone said...

Lori I'm glad you posted this! I like all the pictures! Now...you need to tell the ending to the story...I'm curious about this new pimpin' ride! I hope you guys are physically feeling okay now and that your neck is feeling good!

Hubers said...

Wow- I am so glad things are okay! With everyone! How scary is that?!? I hope everyone can heal quickly! Good luck!

Jess said...

So glad you all are okay, hope your neck and back get better quickly. What a great time of year to count your blessings!

germanjules said...

what a mess! i'm sooo glad to hear that you guys are fine and especially that the girls were ok...we hope that you will continue to improve...sorry about the beautiful toyota...but it did it's job!

Brandon and Emily said...

Lori, I am glad you guys are all ok. Were you able to get your new car? And your dvd player? It was good seeing you at Chloe's party. We definitely need to get together sometime.

Kami said...

Wow, how scary!! I hate seeing all the cars off when we drive in bad weather. I just can't help thinking it's going to be us one time,and feeling bad for those who were involved! I'm sooo glad you guys are okay! Get feeling better, and sorry about your poor vehicle!

Kami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janelle said...

OH how scary and right before Christmas too no good. I am glad you are all okay! We got hit the day after Christmas but we weren't even in the car so it wasn't bad at all just a nice check from the insurance company that was a nice Christmas present!

Paige said...

I am so glad you are all okay. What a horrible way to spend Christmas. I hope you get feeling better quickly.

Jayson & Carrie said...

Dang, girl! Were your holidays boring or something? Just had to add a little excitment to the week, huh?! Glad you're doing well and at the end of the day you still got to go home with all your family still with 'ya! Loves to you!! I'm glad you're all okay!

Callie, Shawn and Braxton said...

That's crazy. I'm glad to hear that everyone in both cars are okay though.

Chemene said...

There's not much I can say that hasn't been said already, but that probably wasn't a great Christmas present:( I hope you guys feel better. It helps you realize why kids are so much safer in the back seat. I saw your mama at the trap shoot for the hospital. Man, can she shoot a gun! She did really good.

Your girls are so cute! I love Brynn's rosy cheeks (probably because she didn't feel good, but still so cute).

Stafford said...

WOW-you are so blessed to be OK! So glad your car didn't look like theirs in the end.

Veronica said...

How scary, so glad that you are all alright. Good luck with getting all healed up, hope it is soon for you.

doni said...

So glad you came out okay. How scary! So, I am planning on getting back into shape and wishing I had someone to do those long runs with. I miss that.

Isaak and Jackie said...

Holy cow! I am so glad you guys are okay. Sorry about the 4 runner that is for sure a bummer but way to be safe and buckle up. Are you celebrating Christmas when you get better?

Tanya said...

So glad you guys are okay. I hate driving on the snow, especially when the kids are in the car.

Elizabeth said...

Wow, I'm so sorry that happened, but so glad you guys are ok! Your car definitely did it's job. Sorry Christmas wasn't so hot, hopefully 2009 is much better! Hope you all are feeling better- good luck with everything.

Harris said...

oh my goodness, I am so glad you guys are okay. You have such a great attitude toward it all! That would be so hard to handle during the holidays!! Hope you guys are all feeling better now!