Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Boston Here I Come!

Yeah! We did it! My younger brother John and I just ran the Top of Utah marathon in Logan, Utah. We trained together all summer. I figured since I was running with John, I might have a chance at qualifying for Boston. This was my fourth marathon, and I needed to cut 16 minutes off my fastest time in order to qualify. My goal was 3:40 and we ran it in 3:39:56. Crazy close! I actually had just over a minute to spare in order to qualify. We got pretty lucky, neither of us had a watch, but we knew we were cutting it close. It would have been a real bummer to have just missed it by a couple of minutes. The last 200m were pretty intense. We could see the clock above the finishline. John and I just started sprinting for all we were worth. I was tempted to climb on John's back, he ran so well. I think he could have gone another 10 miles, and this was his first marathon. What an animal! I was worried that I was going to let John down since I had a stomachache for the first 10 miles. Thankfully it eventually went away and we were able to keep a pretty good pace.

My mom and nephew Tanner came to cheer us on. I think they took this picture around mile 19 or 20.

This is around mile 23. I think John got a little distracted by getting his picture taken. As you can see in the picture, the course turns right here but he kept running straight. I am pointing my finger to turn. Kind of funny, He caught right back up. We were so dead tired right here feeling every step. This lady running behind us told us that she was trying to think that she was a Kenyan, since they seem to be crazy marathon animals.


This is our race to the finish. The funnest part of the whole race. The finishline was the best thing I'd seen all morning. And we saw some pretty cool scenery. Yeah!


I had a few friends cheering me on. Julie, Kaiann, and Carrie (from high school) all came to watch. Pretty cool to have them there. We went out for lunch after the race. I didn't have much of an appetite, but had fun catching up with everyone. Thanks Guys.

That night I stayed in Provo with Aaron's sister Stephanie and her husband Chris. Neat to see them. Thanks for the couch, sleep never felt so good. The next day I went to church with John, we were walking a little funny. I caught a flight back home that night. Great to be home, thanks for watching the girls honey.


This is mom and I at the spaghetti marathon dinner the night before.


Getting our fill on carbs. Yum!

It was neat to have a reason for this run. I was running for my friend Carol who has had a lot trama in her life. I was able to raise $6000.00 to help with her rehab. This is a donation stand we had set up at the packet pick up for the marathon. Thanks for all the support.

19 comments:

Brandon and Emily said...

Lori you are amazing! Congrats on qualifying for the Boston marathon. We will be cheering you on from Puyallup! And if you need someone to watch the girls so Aaron can come with you let me know. Sam would love some playmates.

Callie, Shawn and Braxton said...

That is awesome. Congratulations on it all. Boston, placing, $6000 for Carol. You're amazing. Congrats to John as well. it probably helped quite a bit to have some family running with you for the support and for memories all together. Good luck in Boston.

doni said...

Great Job! Remember when I saw you there. That was fun. Maybe I will see you next year. I need to really motivate myself. It is so hard to train by yourself. I am so happy about the money you raised. That is awesome. I pray for the best for your friend.

Hubers said...

Wow- you are an inspiration to me... I don't think I could ever run a marathon!! You're awesome! Congrats on being able to raise so much money for Carol. What a great person you are to be doing something like that! I'm sure it's nice to have someone you know so well be side by side with you in the race... Great job, and good luck in Boston!

Thomas family said...

GREAT JOB! You are truly amazing to raise that much money for Carol! You are such a great friend!

Jayson & Carrie said...

YOU GO GIRL!! It was fun to see you finish and spend a few hours with you! Love 'ya!

Average Me said...

Awesome Lori. Great job. You're my hero. I'm not a runner. =) Just a dancer. =) Glad it was so rewarding. Love your face.

Anonymous said...

GREAT job Lori! I am so glad that you raised that much for your friend. I think that is awesome!

Isaak and Jackie said...

Nice job Lori. I am amazed at you women who can run, run, and run some more. Awesome donation sum also.

Veronica said...

Congrats--I can't believe you have ran 4 marathons:) That is great. I don't know if I will ever be able to run a mini. You raised a lot of money too and that is so amazing--good for you, great job!

josie said...

good for you girl!! this is probably the reason for you looking the same now as you did in high school. good luck training for boston.

behka said...

Congrats on qualifying! I ran my first this past summer and am bound and determined to qualify now, at some point in my life! Awesome for $6000 for Carol. Way to go.

Rachel {RandR Workshop} said...

That is so awesome Lori! How wonderful that you were able to Run for Carol! And make the Boston Marathon! We will be cheering for you!
My blog will be going private soon..so send me your email so I can add you to the list!!
It was also good to see you the day Ethan was blessed! It had been awhile since we have chatted. I will always remember when I was able to job shadow at the dental clinic with you for my senior project! I just found my portfolio the other day and remembered how fun it was to drive with you there the couple times i went! I learned alot from you on the car rides! Thanks so much for being an example to me!

Chemene said...

I don't have anything different to say than everyone else, but you are awesome. That's good you only had a sideache for 10 miles. That's nothing, right?:) Keep up the good work, and I will keep doing my dinky 30-minute workouts at home.

Jess said...

Both amazing accomplishments!! Nice work!! I emailed Behka, so she should be sending an invite soon!!

Harris said...

Good for you!! What a great friend to raise that much money for your friend! I'll bet is was also fun running with John as well!!! Hopefully someday i will run a marathon...I've always wanted to! WAY TO GO on qualifying for the Boston marathon as well, that is AMAZING...especially after having two kids!!

Matthew and Hailey said...

Hey! I was so excited to find your blog the other day! That is so exciting that you were able to qualify for the Boston marathon-You are awesome! I would love to invite you to my blog, what is your email? Hailey (Grandy) matt.hay.evans@gmail.com

Brandon B said...

Sweet Job Sis,
You're awesome

Lisa said...

Super woman! You amaze me! This is so great, congratulations! You are an inspiration.