Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Aaron's 30th Birthday!

Can you believe it? He's 30! Well we had to do something BIG this year. So I planned a surprise party with all of Aaron's Friends. Although he didn't seem too surprised, we had a fun time celebrating. Aaron's Brother Don, and his friend Nick took him dirtbiking for the day so we could get the house ready for the party. I was so careful about keeping plans and announcements a secret. The one thing I couldn't totally control was the weather. It kind of gave it away. It poured all day long. Since the guys got an early start, they were ready to come home by two. The party wasn't until 6:00 so the guys had to do some stalling. After hitting a couple stores just to look a stuff nobody was buying, he started putting pieces together. Anyways, it was still fun to have all the anticipation. Aaron wasn't expecting so many of his friends there. It was really cool that so many came. We had a catered dinner from Branks BarBQ. Either I was super hungry or their food was really good. I was way impressed with their ribs and coleslaw. Then we did the usual; talk, open gifts, cake, and Ice cream.


This is just after the BIG surprise. Aaron has an obsession with snowmobiles, so I used his as my inspiration. So, his party colors were white, black, and orange. Which are also his KTM dirtbike colors too. It looked a little like halloween, but the cake pulled it all together.

The gift! I really surprised Aaron with the BarBQ. I didn't ask for any ideas for his birthday. For once I finally knew exactly what he needed before he did. We have a great deck that sits totally empty, well not anymore. Every year we have a huge July 4th celebration, and Aaron's dad has to truck his BarBQ over to our house since we didn't have one. Thankfully that's not the case anymore.

The CAKE! We'll here it is. I attempted a snowmobile replica. It was quite fun to make but I wish a had another 3 hours to spend on it. I eventually ran out of time and had to get the other decorations done before guests started showing up. So I had to call it good. Chocolate cake with white frosting is really tricky, I had to freeze the cake in order to frost it without getting crumbs everywhere. I actually spent 51/2 hours on it. It was definitely worth it. I think Aaron thought it was pretty neat.
I used:
- waffle cone for the hood
- tootsie roll for the handle bars
- skor bars for the skis
- rolos for the dashboard
- black licorice nibs for the track.


Blowing out the candles! Aaron didn't even get a chance to blow out his candles with Brynne sitting so close. She got them all. I also made a slide show of Aaron that I showed at the party. If I can figure out how to get it on here I will.

Just got to say, I'm a pretty lucky gal. I've got one amazing husband. He is such a hard worker, great husband and one really fun Papa. He can do anything and everything. I'm so lucky he's mine. Happy Birthday Aaron!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

The cake is adorable and the BBQ will be GREAT! I LOVE LOVE BBQ's- they are the BEST!

josie said...

I love the cake, you are awesome! Thirty is a big one, I'll be there in a little over a year,uggh

Callie, Shawn and Braxton said...

The cake is great. You did an awesome job on it. Happy Birthday Aaron! It looks like everyone had a lot of fun.

sarefamily said...

You are such a good wifey!! You put the rest of us to shame!!!! Your cake skills have really progressed through the years- thank heavens for that- we made some real trophies!!! I love the BBQ. We pretty much live off of ours. I think we BBQ 3 or 4 times a week. You will find that it is so easy and really cuts down the dishes, which to use moms is a gift that keeps giving!! luv you guys!! PS, love Taiya's hair!!

Rebecca Pierce said...

That was a fun party! Okay, a little torturous for me since I knew no one, but I got back at Chris by taking him to like three events of my mission reunion conference weekend. Anyway, that cake was super impressive.

Jess said...

Happy Birthday Aaron!!

Lori that cake is amazing, so fun!!!

Veronica said...

You are such a nice wife. That cake is amazing. I can barley make a cake and frost it:) It sounds like a great birthday for him.

I don't know if you have heard yet, but my Grandpa Layland passed away this morning(4/20). I just know your mom and my grandma have been pretty close over the years.

Bryson said...

I missed out on all the fun. Sweet cake.

Ryan and Leah said...

Hey! How are you! We are doing good! The cake is wonderful! You did a great job! Your kids are adorable. Hope you are well!

Jordan and Heidi Jensen said...

-k- so I've been freaking out that Jordan is turning 30 in July! i've been having a LOT harder time with it then he is. umm married to a 30 year old WHAT???:o) Good thing they're young at heart and that we're even younger:o) hee hee lol I'm reminding him of this often! I'm glad I have four more years to except the fact that I'm suppose to be a grown-up now:o)(That's what 30 means...grown-up...not old right? just grown up...;O)
What a cute cake idea!! LOVED it!! and you are going to LOVE the BBQ...we use ours all year round!!Looks like you made his day special!